Southeast Asia and Indonesia 2006

Keep posted on our travels here...

Saturday, September 16, 2006

chiang mai tai....

hiya. liza here. we have been hanging out in Chiang Mai, Northern Thailand for the past few days...we have been eating a lot of red and green---curry that is--and tooling around the city and countryside on a little motor scooter built for two....even though the locals seem to easily fit 3 or 4. My NYC bicycling skills (thanks Chris) have been coming in handy as there seems to be no limit to the number of people who drive in the "lanes" and who can pass when , etc...it is like one big, loud, smoggy, humid video game and it is THE best way to get ANYwhere in this place. We rented bicyles yesterday and although it was nice to get some sweaty exercise, we decided that we had had enough of THAT. : )

We drove up the mountain to Doi Suthep temple today - probably the most gorgeous one we have seen yet. We think by the end of this trip we will have seen enough temples to last us a few lifetimes. The mountain ride was gorgeous and a nice break from the polluted city. Driving on the left side has been successful thus far.

Hoping to go visit some elephants in the coming days and then off to the north towards the Burmese border to see some caves and more TEMPLES!!!! waa-hoo. More later.... meow meow to you all. xoxo

4 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey kidlet!

Sounds like you guys have taken on the local color with gusto. I'm not sure I would have the courage to try driving ANYTHING in the left side nor in "driving-in-the-lane-of-your-choice" circumstances. I found it disconcerting enough to simply ride a bus or taxi. Guess I need more practice, eh?

Life is going well here. The tomato plant is still taking over the garden and now part of the yard. Football is the thing: 3 & 0 this season. Dad is putting the boat away for the season. He is on to bigger and better things: ducks and skiing. My classes are well.

Love you,

MOM

 
At 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you two are having a wonderful time - I am living vicariously through you . . . enjoy. It may seem like a lot of temples for now, but trust me, 15 years after the fact you will WISH you visited more (trust me). Take LOTs of pictures!!! Enjoy the locals - I remember learning the most from them!

On the home front all is well. Madeline is LOVING school. We literally have to carry her out screaming and kicking - she does NOT want to leave. We are working on that. Peter has 2 bottom teeth and his firt top tooth is in - no more gummy grin!

I am now an official owner of a new company (Solution Advisors, LLC) - wahoo - I start next week with on my first job with my new company - it is pretty exciting.

Can't wait to hear all about your adventures!! Travel well - we love and miss you!

bean (and the fam.)

 
At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey y'all. Vacationing vicariously through your trip. Love the photos. You guys look relaxed and happy. I like the videogame analogy.

Just came in from Austin City Limits. Great festival, man. Managed to sneak my SLR in, but by the time I decided to start using it I was a tad... shaky. ;-) No great shots, lots of good music. fun times. After this job, must find a vacation of my own.

Thanks for the updates.
-=-theo

 
At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo-
I am sooo envious of your sweaty adventure. Love seeing the photogs and hearing about temples. More Buddhas!!!

Love ya, Big Mamma

 

Post a Comment

<< Home